Normalcy needed during social-distancing

Gannyn Dunn, Junior Editor

As society is currently living through a Coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump has placed social distancing guidelines for the United States until April 30. As the country follows these guidelines, it can be tough for many to find ways to keep their mental and physical health in check. It is important to find outlets and ways for individuals to keep themselves happy and healthy. 

It can be easy to fall into a loophole of going to bed at 3 a.m., waking up at noon and not having a very productive day after that. It is important that individuals make the most of this situation in the ways that are best fit for them. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention,“The outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) may be stressful for people. Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children. Coping with stress will make you, the people you care about, and your community stronger.” In this time of chaos, it is important that individuals get in touch with their own mental health, in order to handle stress. As the world navigates this unknown virus, it can be easy to overthink and come up with “What if’s,” and that is why it is extremely important that society, now more than ever, understands how to ease their own anxieties. 

As Washoe County School District students are starting Distance Learning, it is key that students follow the Social and Emotional Learning Practices each day in order to maintain their sanity. Although it may not be the most ideal situation to have to do school work from home without a teacher, doing the breathing exercises and optimistic activities can have a positive effect on a student’s whole day. Taking a quick break from the school work to do the SEL practices gives student’s brains a break from the work to get inside their own thoughts. 

Along with the SEL practices embedded in school, students can take action in their own similar activities. According to Positivepsychology.com, journaling can have many positive effects such as, mood boosts, an enhancement in self well-being and help with depression. Other activities that maintain mental and physical health include drawing, going on a walk or run, reading a book, spring cleaning or maybe just putting on a face mask. Simple tasks to keep distracted from this crazy time can have a major impact on an individual’s overall health. 

Although the future is uncertain and intimidating, it is critical that individuals find ways to keep themselves busy and healthy. Doing so can have major effects on mental and physical wellness, which is vital, especially now.