Volleyball is a go for 2021

Delaney Sullivan, Staff Reporter

Since Governor Steve Sisolak is allowing fall sports to occur, volleyball tryouts were held on Feb. 19 through the 23. Although it is a shortened season this year, the Varsity, JV, and freshmen teams have begun practices as well as played a game. Their first game took place at Douglas High School on March 5. 

“Varsity started off the season with a sweep over the Tigers” Varsity player Bella Cox said. 

“We won 25-12 the first set and 25-21 the second.”

The first set was a much bigger lead for Reno, but they were still able to hold onto the lead in the second set. 

“We did the best adjusting to what the other team was doing and we came up with a strategy to help us win” Cox said. 

The freshmen team had a similar outcome to the Varsity team. They won the first set 25-10 and the second set 25-20. 

“It was all of our first high school volleyball game, so it was very nerve racking” freshmen player Lucy Platz said. 

“Overall, we worked well together and were able to stay out of serve receive for awhile.”

If a team is staying out of serve receive, it means they are winning many points in a row and they are serving. 

“Our serving was great and our hitting was strong” Platz said. 

Freshmen coach Karson Nakagawa was impressed with how her team played and is confident in them for the rest of the season. 

“The freshmen this year have a lot to offer to this program now and in the future” Nakagawa said. 

“My only worry is the players mental and physical health since there is a lot going on at one time.”

Many players on the freshmen team are participating in several sports at one time between club and high school which can be a lot for them to handle. Due to the chaos of this season, coaches have decided to be more relaxed about the attendance policy. In normal years players are not allowed to miss more than three practices, but this year coaches are being more understanding. 

Although the JV team did lose to Douglas High School, all three Reno teams are playing good and working well together. There is another game coming up on March 9 at Bishop Manogue High School, but spectators will not be allowed since it is an away game.