Third in league, boys cross country looks to Regionals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman Tim Guinto and Junior Cameron Spencer run at the Reno High track in preparation for a meet at Reed High School on Oct. 3. The team finished third in the High Desert League Championships.

Noah Drymalski

Noah Drymalski

Noah Drymalski

Noah Drymalski, Junior Sports Editor

Through injury, defeat, and pain this year’s team has experienced many difficulties, yet still approaches each meet with passion and courage. Having shown spirit and determination, the boys now look forward to their regional and state competitions.

The varsity team had a week off from competition in order to gear up for the final three weeks of the season. The team has been working hard to develop their physical condition and endurance.

Making state is a goal that is held high by members of the team.

“We really want to make it to State as a team this year, so we are working on strategy to beat other teams and working on running together so we push ourselves and each other,” senior Tyler Hart said.

They would have to be one of the top teams in the North to get to state.

“I’m really nervous about regionals because we all really want to be able to go to state,” sophomore Andrew Brooksbank said.

With the Regionals coming up at the end of October, the team got some good experience while competing in an out of state meet at Stanford University. The team members relished the opportunity to compete out of state. The team has also practiced at Rancho San Rafael (where the Conference and Regional championships will be held).

The team’s seniors will be missed by their younger team members.

“I’m sad that the season is ending because it’s really fun and when next year comes we will be losing some really great people,” Brooksbank said.

Hart looks to enjoy his last moments as a cross country runner at the school and prove that he can be a college athlete.

“While there are sometimes running is incredibly difficult, I certainly try to enjoy every moment,” Hart said. “These final races are special for two reasons, the first is that they are my last chance to show colleges what I am capable of before I have to apply, so I want to make sure that I give each race my all. Second is even more important; this is my final season of high school cross country, which means it’s my final season with some of these coaches and runners whom I have grown very close with over the course of the season.”

On Oct. 1, the team competed at the South Tahoe Retro Relay, and won the dress up competition. Four team members won by dressing up as a family.

At the Reed Invitational on Oct. 3. The Junior Varsity team finished fourth overall. The team’s best finisher was freshman Ethan Bluhm. Varsity finished fifth overall with Hart finishing fifth in the individual standings. The team’s next invitational was at Woodward Park on the seventeenth. The boys finished 23 out of 33 teams. Hart and junior Trevor Livingston had the team’s best finishes. At the League championships the team placed third overall, Hart finished third.

The team looks forward to state as they close out another season of physical and personal growth. They have experienced many pitfalls and hills to climb but have taken everything in stride as they keep their eyes fixed on the prize of a state championship.