Crucial win secures boys soccer playoffs spot

Senior+John+%E2%80%9CScott%E2%80%9D+Shaffer+goes+up+against+a+Spanish+Springs+defender+during+their+Oct.+18+game.+Shaffer+scored+his+tenth+goal+of+the+season+on+a+penalty+kick+during+the+same+game%2C+and+the+team+tied+the+game+2-2+on+the+last+play+of+the+game.+Shaffer+is+now+the+top+goal+scorer+on+the+team.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior John “Scott” Shaffer goes up against a Spanish Springs defender during their Oct. 18 game. Shaffer scored his tenth goal of the season on a penalty kick during the same game, and the team tied the game 2-2 on the last play of the game. Shaffer is now the top goal scorer on the team.

Tyler Arden

Tyler Arden

Tyler Arden

Tyler Arden, Editor In Chief

Everything must come to an end. The Boys Varsity Soccer team was successful in keeping the end of their season away as they finished the season at home in a series of critical games that determined whether or not they were going to playoffs.

With a chance to keep hopes alive, the team pushed to end on a high note. Fighting back against Spanish Springs, the team came up from behind scoring the vital goal at the very end to tie the game 2-2.
That game against Spanish Springs kept the teams hope for a regional appearance alive. Getting there was not easy, and the team had to win their last three games at home to secure a playoff spot.

On their push to reach regionals, the team faced Hug in one of three critical games. Ending in a 1-1 tie, the team was able to escape defeat and keep their playoff hopes alive; however, a tie meant they needed to win their next two games.

Their game against Reed was crucial: Reed was only one point behind Reno in the standings. However, they didn’t let the pressure get to them and they came out on top with a score of 2-1. The win secured their own spot in regional playoffs and knocked Reed off the playoff bubble.

Now, the team awaits their first playoff opponent, which is yet to be determined. If they remain in fourth place, they will play the best team from the other division, but if they get into third place they will play the second place team from the other division.

They have finished in fourth place in their last two seasons, and were knocked out of playoffs by Wooster both years. If they were to play Wooster in playoffs again this year, the team is confident that they can win after they beat them during the season.

With hopes for a playoff run still alive, the team continues to push against adversity. However, after countless challenges, the team will come out of this season with a sense of accomplishment.

“We did good this season, especially given the circumstances.” senior Sam Kiene said.

After a strong turnout during this seasons tryouts, things looked good for the team. Not soon after, their coach departed. Faced with previously unforeseen challenges, the team pushed on.

“Losing our coach was tough, but we didn’t let that define us this season.” junior Almas Chowdhury said. “We pushed hard and did our best.”

The search for a new coach has been ongoing throughout the season. Arrangements will be made for a permanent coach before the start of next season.

This year will also see the departure of several seniors who played a large role in the team throughout the season. Senior Scott Shaffer is just one of the many that will depart after the final game. Shaffer is currently the teams top goal scorer with eleven goals in the regular season.

“It was a good season,” Shaffer said. “I wish we could have done better, but we made the best of everything and worked hard.”

Even after tough losses, the team’s morale remained high throughout the season.

“Even when things got rough, we kept on going and let nothing bring us down.” Danny Hoel said.

Their final regular season game against McQueen honored the seniors on the team. They were given gifts before the game and the starting lineup was all seniors.

For many, that game was one of their last competitive soccer games, as they do not plan on playing in college.

Now, after securing their playoff spot, the team has a chance to win their first playoff game in over four years.