Boys tennis wins regionals, falls short at state

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Mahesh Challapalli returns the ball during a home match. Challapalli made it to the state finals doubles match with his doubles partner Dominic Aramini.

James Osgood

James Osgood

James Osgood

James Osgood, Sports Editor

The only word that could describe the boys tennis season would be dominating: they culminated their regular season with an unbeaten record, with no team even coming close to defeating them, and went on to win the regional tournament.

As they prepared for the state tournament, the team had their sights on the team title, something they have not won since 2011. The seniors on the team who have played all four years were part of the last team to win the state tournament.

Not only was the team unbeaten all regular season, but several players also did not lose a game all regular season. Challapalli and senior Dominic Aramini won every single match they played. In tennis tournaments, a team ranks their players from best to worst and the best player from one team always plays the best from the other team. Despite Challapalli and Aramini always playing the other team’s best players, they remained unbeaten.

Aramini and Challapalli were also the top doubles partners in Northern Nevada, and they were almost the best in the entire state. They made it to the state final match but lost to two Bishop Gorman players in an extremely close game.

Reno doubles team Riley Boyden and Nick Rinehart also competed in the state doubles tournament but were knocked out in the first round. Boyden and Rinehart were the second best doubles team in Northern Nevada.
Despite having a season lacking superior competition, the team knew they still had to prepare for the state tournament. In past years, the teams from Las Vegas have been much better than those in Northern Nevada, so they knew grabbing another state title would be no easy task.

Regional and state tournaments use a bracket system where the first place team plays the last place team and the second place team plays the second worst team and so on. The bracket is single elimination so once a team loses they are done.

At the regional tournament, the team played a total of three matches against three different teams to get the title. They defeated Bishop Manogue 14-4 to grab the regional team title.

The state tournament worked the same way, only they had to play Palo Verde High School, the second best team in Las Vegas. They lost with a score of 17-1.

The team also sent one individual to the singles state tournament. Ian Rinehart was the number two seed from Northern Nevada; however, he was knocked out of the tournament by Ben Gajardo of Desert Oasis High School in Las Vegas.