Tyler Talks: teens too old to trick-or-treat

Back to Article
Back to Article

Decorations litter lawns inviting children to visit while trick-or-treating. High school students may be too old to participate.

Tyler Arden

Tyler Arden

Tyler Arden

Tyler Arden, Editor In Chief

Halloween can be fun, but don’t ruin it for other young children, or you may face the consequences.

I love candy as much as the next person. Yet there is something wrong with taking candy from a baby. When teens go trick or treating on Halloween this is exactly what they are doing. Simply stated, Halloween is for kids. The fun you had as a kid yourself doesn’t last forever, so don’t take away fun from other kids.

If you need more reasoning than that, cities across the nation have been passing ordinances for years that aim to prevent teens from collecting candy. Getting caught in costume earns teens a penalty and even jail time.

These limits are not new either. In Virginia, several cities have had trick-or-treating age limits since the 1970’s, blocking those in their teens from going door to door. City officials from Meridian, Miss., To Bishopville, S.C., and Boonsboro, Md., have cut off the trick-or-treating for kids over 12 as well.

Honestly, teens aren’t scary. Unless it’s early in the morning before a few cups of coffee. Someone that gets into their costume, and is not disrupting the fun of other young children should not be barred by their city council from going door to door.

However, when one enters high school, that energy could be applied in different ways. For example, build a haunted house for others to enjoy. You can even take a group of kids, and watch them in return for their candy.

If that is not your idea of a good time, try visiting the different haunted houses around the city. Take advantage of the occasion to go watch a scary movie marathon. If you really want to trick-or-treat, collect money for UNICEF.

Whatever you do, ensure that everyone can have a good time, and consider the young children that will be out and about.

Halloween may be the perfect time to go out and commit vandalism, but the consequences are real. What’s fun for you can be a pain for someone else.

If that wasn’t enough motivation, remember this little tidbit Mr. Goodfellow recently taught me. On Halloween, you are not guaranteed treats. It is a question. So don’t be surprised when you end up with a bag of tricks, deer poop milk duds, and salt filled pixie sticks.

The debate won’t end this year. However, what will end eventually is your childhood. Like how it’s not acceptable to go to Chuck E. Cheese’s now, it’s certainly not “ok” to invade the Halloween fun of young kids.

The reality of growing up is something I want to avoid. Seeing my friends preparing for graduation reminds me that growing up is real. While we all want to avoid the facts, it’s time to face reality.