Leaving no trace

Fly Fishing helps clean up Truckee River

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leaving no trace

Members of the Fly Fishing Club helped clean up the river they use to practice their skills in.

Jason Mattick

Jason Mattick

Jason Mattick

Mia Masegian, Staff Reporter

To most people Saturday means sleeping in and no school, but to the Reno High Fly Fishing club Saturday means helping out the community.

On Sept. 26, 12 members of the Fly Fishing club rolled up their sleeves and joined the thousands of volunteers at this year’s Keeping Truckee Meadows Beautiful (KTMB). All the volunteers picked up bottles, plastic bags and loads of garbage, but it isn’t all about hard work, it’s also about the thought that these students are helping make the environment better.

“We worked with the Reno Fly shop and cleaned up a lot of trash,” Jason Mattick said. “The kids enjoyed being outside and helping out the community and cleaning up the river that they will eventually fish on.”

This one act of kindness doesn’t go without being rewarded; students who participated will also get hours in for their community service logs, it’s a win-win for both sides. Overall, the community is a better place and Mother Nature is now cleaner thanks to these students hard work.