Study spaces provide needed help

Back to Article
Back to Article

Study spaces provide needed help

Sophomore Juliane Albright makes use of the study space that the library provides to stay ahead on school work.

Tyler Arden

Tyler Arden

Tyler Arden

Kalli Reynolds, Staff Reporter

Missing work is a major problem and is the reason why some students fail their classes, especially core classes.

There are different ways students can get homework done at school. Teachers go out of their way to help kids who are struggling and need the extra help. In addition, there are places around school that allow students to get their work finished. For example, the library has students constantly coming it. They come in to study, get reports typed, do research, finish homework and read.

“The library is a quiet environment, that helps you concentrate on what you are trying to accomplish,” freshman Amy Murph said.

There is a certain time that students use the library, more frequently than others. This time is between 7:15 and 7:35 in the morning.

“There are at least fifty students in the library, each morning, before school starts. Also, there is about twenty students who come in at lunch,” librarian Barbra Whiteley said.

After school is the time that less students come into the library, to get work completed. This is because of the amount of time it is open and available for students to use. The library closes at 2:45 p.m. each school day.

“The library is a very quiet place to work. It is also helpful because it is away from electronics. The only downside is, it doesn’t stay open after school very long,” junior Sam Fielder said.

Kids are also learning new ways to help them stay organized and do their homework. Classes like freshmen seminar and sophomore success are helping some students. Another way other kids make sure they do their homework is using their planners.

“Students themselves can work on being successful, in school. Some major ways they can do this is by having good study habits, being organized and going in to talk to their teachers,” Principal KrisHackbush said.

Also, if a student is having a difficult time with a certain subject, teachers are there to help. It is difficult for some students to get their work done, if they don’t understand the concept. Kids may even fail because they don’t get their work done and turned in.

“Missing work and missing homework was seen on grades many times last year. The staff is using failure data to help kids pass. All teachers are really preparing students for big assessments and reviewing different concepts, they should know,” Hackbush said.

For some kids, the option of going in at lunch or after school to see a teacher, doesn’t work out. So, another option would be getting tutored. The math department has a torturing list that kids are able to sign up for.

“Most teachers help students, who are struggling, at lunch. Students who don’t come in at lunch sign up for the tutoring list. This is a great way for students to get the extra help they need,” math teacher Keri Powers said.

Overall, the school provides many options for students looking to study or find support in their classes.