Same space, new look

College & Career center gets renovated

Senior Sharon Parra works on her college application in the newly renovated College & Career Center.

Courtney Lopez

Courtney Lopez

Courtney Lopez, Managing Editor

After principal Kris Hackbusch and assistant principal Linda Feroah envisioned the College and Career Center as a modern space, they took matters into their own by raising money at March Madness to turn their dream into reality.

While new College and Career facilitator Stephanie Lerude was finishing her final stage of college consulting practicum last fall, the opportunity of implementing Hackbusch’s and Feroah’s vision became a possibility.

The new College and Career Center is designed after Lerude’s observations on how students used the space at the end of last semester. Lerude minimized the number of the computers in the room due to the space typically being used for a computer lab and not for college or career needs.

“When it functions as a computer lab there is less time for kids to come in and ask questions and for me to have any meaningful conversations with them,” Lerude said.

Lerude hopes the new layout will bring in upper classmen to come in and spend time with friends or study.

“I hope this new layout will create a space with open door policy,” Lerude said.

Lerude also hopes that seniors with an off campus will go in and do homework so she is able to spend time with the students. Ledrude said having the capability to spend time with the students will help her better pick career and college options for each individual student.

“I definitely feel much more comfortable going in and asking for help because I don’t think that I’m going to interrupt a class,” senior Stephanie Stern said.

At the opening of the space, administration held a contest to name the room. After several entries, The Cube was picked.

Lerude’s next step with the center is to better include the career aspect. Her vision is to have a job board, and to help facilitate volunteer opportunities for students. The volunteer board is anticipated to assist seniors in finding volunteer hours needed to graduate.

The College and Career Center is open at lunch and throughout the day for students to stop in. Consultations with Lerude on college questions can be made by appointment.