All about the ombre

Hair trend takes over campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

All about the ombre

The Ombre is taking over campus.

The Ombre is taking over campus.

Mindy Phan

The Ombre is taking over campus.

Mindy Phan

Mindy Phan

The Ombre is taking over campus.

Mindy Phan, Staff Reporter

• The style is nothing new, but its popularity is growing at school.

Mindy Phan

• The hairstyle that debuted in 2007 is seeing a surge in popularity on campus.

Mindy Phan

• The Ombre is taking over campus.

Mindy Phan

Ombre describes as a natural blending of one color to another, a transition from dark to light. Instead of dyeing the whole head from roots to tip, ombre skips a small section of the roots and starts lower.

The ombre hair trend made its first appearance in 2007 when super model Gisele Bundchen had a fashion show with an ombre hair style. This hair style became the most requested in 2014 because it costs less than a regular bleach $150, while ombre isn’t considered a whole due so salon artists only charge on the average of $65-85.

This trend held people’s interest for so long, even today, many students have this hair style.

Senior Nicki Irons has had this hair style for two years and says she isn’t getting tired of it. Irons wanted something different and found several pictures on Instagram of girls with ombre hair.

“I just wanted something different and it’s a fashion thing.” Irons said.

Ombre doesn’t only come in blonde, but could also be a transition from dark red to light red. Sophomore Jayde Matcham has had her hair dyed for a month. She has always liked her hair red but wanted something a little different from her usual look.

“I like ombre, but a lot of people have blonde so I wanted to try red.” Matcham said.

Ombre can be short, different colors, and length. Freshman Jessica Osgard got her new ombre at the beginning of August. Osgard has a specific internet celebrity that inspired her to get the short ombre – Carissa Alvaro.

“I honestly wish this was my natural hair color, it’s awesome.”