New Hearthstone club brings gaming to campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

The mobile game Hearthstone has inspired a new gaming club on campus.

Hearthstone Office Site

Hearthstone Office Site

Hearthstone Office Site

Kristen Lamothe, Staff Reporter

There has been an upcropping of new clubs since the club fair centering around social issues, personal identities, interests, and many other things under the sun. Math teacher Paul Goodfellow has spearheaded a club for the online fantasy card game, Hearthstone which is based off of the popular computer-based games chronicled under the title: World of Warcraft. Hearthstone has developed a following, exemplified through the small community of players spreading in the school. Goodfellow was introduced to the game through fellow math teacher, Brad Naughton and has since gone on to develop the framework for the club with senior Isaac Land.

“I thought it was really good and easy to get into.” Land said “I have played card games of the sort before.”

Land noticed that a visual of the game was Goodfellow’s wallpaper on his Activboard and challenged him under the hopes that if he beat the teacher he would earn extra credit. While the duel did not come to fruition it did pave the way for the two to discuss the start of the club.

“I was one of the first one he told about looking for a club president and I was the first one to raise my hand the fastest.” Land said.

At the club fair they acquired twenty-five members as well as began negotiations for a merge of the table-top games club in order to expand the number of games to play and members to play them. The club will meet thursdays at lunch and both veterans off the game and newcomers who are curious about it or just looking for a social outlet are encouraged to drop in and play. Hearthstone is an internet based game meaning it is available on all technological devices from Iphones, computers, Ipads, among other things making it possible for virtually anyone to play, it is free as well.

“I’m hoping people find a way to blow off steam and create a community.” Land said