Seniors gain insight from UNR Admissions

UNR Director of Admissions Steven Maples answers questions about the college application process during class.

Grace Lowden

Grace Lowden

Grace Lowden, Opinion Editor

Though its only the third week of the school year, college is already stressing out our seniors. In Richard Clark’s AP Government and We the People classes, the Director of Admissions at The University of Nevada, Reno (UNR), Steven Maples, came to talk to the upperclassmen and try to answer some general question about college in an attempt to alleviate anxiety.

Though Stephanie Lerude has spent her time preparing students with practical college lists, and tips for completing the common app, Maples was able to give students advice from the perspective of an admissions director, he admits and rejects for a living, and understands what a good application looks like.

Maples stressed to students that the most important part of their application was not their GPA or test scores, but their essay.

“Write with your heart but also write with you head,” Maples said. “Make sure its organized because they expect perfection. Its really just writing about you.”

Maples also opened students’ eyes to the price of college. Though seniors know college comes with expenses, the Director of Admissions compared in-state and out-of-state tuitions, coming up with what almost amounted to a $40,000 difference. The in-state tuition for UNR is only $6,500.

“Financial aid says a lot about their investment in you,” Maples said. “They want to make you pay as much of that sticker price as possible.”

Though this prep session only lasted 50 minutes long, it was long enough to get students thinking about UNR as a real, and exciting option. Maples recommends applying to five schools, and inferred UNR be one on your list.