Stop the Shakespeare

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stop the Shakespeare

English class turns into theater as students must act out Julius Caesar

Madison Schuster

Madison Schuster

Madison Schuster

Madison Schuster, Staff Reporter

Shakespeare has taken over in the Sophomore Honors English classrooms.  Students are busy memorizing over fifty tedious lines of Julius Caesar, making creative sets for the era in which they chose for their play, and hunting through the costume stores to find the perfect look for their debut in the theater.

Some students are meant for the stage, while others are not quite sure about the point of this project in an English class.  I think that being able to memorize large amounts of data or words is an important and valuable skill because each job a student may hold in the future requires memorization.  Whether it’s computer programming or knowing the route to take for mail deliveries, memorization will always be a factor.

The down side to this extremely time consuming project is that each group will be performing in the theater in front of other classes.  The groups have been making sets and backdrops to use during their performances, but most haven’t actually been into the theater to see how they will be storing and hanging these items.

I believe the idea behind the project is great because it teaches memorization and how to work coherently in a group, but performing it on such a large scale seems unnecessary.  Instead of having to perform their acts on the stage, students could memorize a soliloquy and describe their interpretation of what is being said.  Overall, I don’t see Shakespeare leaving the classroom any time soon, and the projects are here to stay.