The art of the promposal

Proposals+are+filling+social+media+and+the+hallways+ahead+of+the+April+18+event.+
Proposals are filling social media and the hallways ahead of the April 18 event.

James Osgood

James Osgood

James Osgood, Head Sports Editor

Its prom season, and that means we’re about to see hundreds of photos of teenagers clad in rented tuxedos and neon vests. It also means students will be clamoring to come up with the most creative way to ask their date to prom.

When it comes to prom proposals (or “prom-posals”) anything and everything is possible. Anything that will surprise, excite, amaze, or embarrass a date is considered a good prom-posal.

Of course, not acting surprised and excited when someone asks you to prom would be rude, so what do students really look for when being asked to prom? First, the prom-posal should be creative but not cheesy.

“Everyone’s seen the one where you spell it out in candles, so its cool when guys mix it up and do something original,” senior Keani Vierra said.

Second, the proposal needs to have an element of surprise. If the recipient isn’t expecting it they’re going to be much more excited. However, too much of a surprise might not help the cause. The custom nowadays is to ask a friend if the person you plan on asking would like to go with you.

For the element of surprise, take notes from senior Cole Butler. Last year, Butler called a girl and told her to drive to a random road on the side of a hill. When she got there, she was surprised with the letters P-R-O-M spelled out, on fire, on the side of a hill. It’s hard to say no to a prom-posal that could potentially get a person thrown in jail for arson.

For those not looking to risk burning down a forest or proposing in front of a crowd, simply buying flowers requires minimal effort, looks sincere, and always ends with a “yes.”