Testing out the new test

Upperclassmen should not be guinea pigs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Testing out the new test

Aubrey Thomas, Staff Reporter

As proficiency exams are no longer the testing required to graduate for the sophomore class of 2017, the transition to end-of-course exams has been difficult as the possibility of juniors having to take the Common Core tests alongside the sophomores is debated.

The junior class should not have to take the end-of-course exams, especially if they passed all of their proficiencies. Juniors should spend time focusing on the more important tests they must take such as the ACT and SAT that will help determine their future and what colleges are more accessible to them. It seems as if this test is one too many. Junior year is a very crucial year in preparation for college and the stress of having another test, is too far. If students have already passed what is needed to graduate, even if the tests are changing, what is the point of redoing that process? Yes, it would be a good way to test the new exams out, but it is ultimately pointless to make the juniors take a test that doesn’t count for them. The proficiencies were stressful and long enough, more is not needed. Many students may not even try their best on the exams, if juniors are forced to take it, knowing that it won’t count and is nothing but a test run for the incoming classes. Since juniors are past the grade where these exams would be taken, the new test should not be given to them.