El Adobe satisfies appetites at resonable price

Mexican restaurant provides authentic taste, atmosphere, experience

The+atmosphere+of+El+Adobe+creates+a+warm+welcoming+the+tamale+meal+%28top%29+is+coated+in+delicious+sauce+and+the+%0Atraditional+dress+%28bottom%29+hangs+over+a+table%2C+allowing+customers+to+eat+with+an+authentic+view..+
The atmosphere of El Adobe creates a warm welcoming the tamale meal (top) is coated in delicious sauce and the 
traditional dress (bottom) hangs over a table, allowing customers to eat with an authentic view..

The atmosphere of El Adobe creates a warm welcoming the tamale meal (top) is coated in delicious sauce and the traditional dress (bottom) hangs over a table, allowing customers to eat with an authentic view..

Atley Weems

Atley Weems

Atley Weems, A&E Editor

Never have I ever wanted to eat to my soul’s content, yet sleep in satisfaction of a full belly at the same time. That is until I went to El Adobe Café. It was around noon on a Sunday when I arrived at the charming little restaurant. I looked at the outside seating, scanned over the barrels filled with bright flowers, and found myself smiling at the neat salt and pepper shakers disguised as small Corona bottles. It looked inviting and lively with its décor and overall essence. The inside proved to be just as lively and inviting as its outside. My initial thought when I walked in was that I have never smelt anything so deliciously spicy in my entire life. Not only did it appeal to my nose, but my eyes took their own adventure as well.

Traditional Mexican dresses covered the walls, their silk fabrics coated in gems and beautiful eye-catching designs. Rainbow parrots hung from the ceiling with beer clenched unrealistically tight in their claws. Music hummed from somewhere in the kitchen, barely audible over the hustling of the cooks. As I leapt up onto the high cushions of the seats I took everything in. The smell and scenery of the café practically filled my stomach with satisfaction, giving the food a late start. So when the delicious appetizer of chips and salsa came to our table I couldn’t help but gorge myself on them. Heat slowly began to crawl along my taste buds, and to the sides of my Caucasian, white-girl overly sensitive mouth. Like any wise person would do in a situation such as this, I continued despite the fact that my mouth that was lit aflame.

One small basket of chips, and a burnt mouth later, our server arrived. Mattathias was kind and offered us time but little help when it came to decision making. Without much help, I was left to order two tamales with a side of rice and beans with sour cream. Within just enough time for my mouth to simmer to a medium, tolerable heat, our food came. By food I mean truck load.

Rice and beans had conquered a good half of my plate, exploring across its large width into my two small tamales and random taco that appeared without my ordering. The plate was bigger than my head that was on fire from the spicy food before me.

The beans were creamy, and delicious. They worked well as the companion to the almost tasteless rice. Together they cooled my mouth but were rich in flavor. The tamales were a different story. Hot and spicy, with sauce poured over chicken purposely flavored to take over all the mind’s thought and focus them completely on how amazing the food in your mouth was. One and a half tamales, a half plate of rice and beans, and a Pepsi later I found myself unable to finish the rest of the meal before me. I have never wanted to eat something so badly, but was physically unable to.

For $13.95, I was happy with my meal. I believe the price could have been lower; El Adobe made the cost worth it in means of quantity. The food was great and the price decent, the placement of this restaurant was poor. At 55 West Arroyo St. in Midtown’s line of small shops and food choices, El Abobe is slightly hidden away, making it somewhat difficult when trying to find it. Overall, I had a pleasant experience, as well as almost too much food to handle. I plan to go there soon, or at least when I am on the brink of starvation and in need of a truck load of food.