Schooled in marriage

Michael and Crystal Edwards met and fell in love while teaching at Reno High .

Parker Kalin

Parker Kalin

Parker Kalin, Staff Reporter

After saying “I do”, these couples moved from walking down the aisle to walking down the hallways.

Michael and Crystal Edwards refer to themselves as high school sweethearts, as they met while working at Reno High. Crystal teaches Honors English and Michael teaches science. The two agree that they like teaching subjects that are so diverse from one another.

“We have the opportunity to tell each other how our job’s different than the others,” Crystal said.

While the couple likes the separation of teaching different content, they wish they could meet up more during the school day.

Sitting with smiles on their faces and their nine-month-old daughter perched on Michael’s knee, they  mentioned that school is much more incorporated into their outside lives than the average family.

Both agreed that sometimes their lives are nothing but school, from sunup to sundown.

With the additional duties they have at work, Crystal teaching leadership and Michael coaching, they said that it’s only their children that can separate them from the school mentality.

“We try to focus on the kids. We actually have to verbalize, ‘Okay no more school,’” Michael said.

They pointed out that when other couples bring their work home, business talk is quick and easy, because neither understands the other’s job.

Rob and Jamie Stone love teaching the same subject and being married co-workers.

Parker Kalin

“We’re both so involved in the school that it does follow us home way too much,” Crystal said.

Their favorite part about working together is the fact that they met at the school; these yellow tiles walls hold their story.

“If it weren’t for Reno High, we wouldn’t even be together,” Crystal said.

The experience of working at the same school as their spouse has been different for Jamie and Rob Stone.

Jamie said the school isn’t as intertwined into their at-home lives as it may be for others. They said their one hour commute acts as a debriefing period. So by the time they arrive home, school talk is over.

As English teachers, the Stones said they enjoy teaching the same subject because they are able to bounce ideas off of each other.

“We have similar experiences and share ideas, and it’s nice that he’s here,” Jamie said. “It makes it easier for our work and our marriage.”

Rob said his favorite part about working with his spouse is being marital coworkers.

“We don’t have a lot of time to talk with our other colleagues to share ideas, so we get to be colleagues and married.”

Jamie enjoys Rob’s company and work help.

“I respect him a lot as a teacher, so it’s great to have someone like that with me,” Jamie said. “I get a chance to spend time with my husband at work.”

In contrast to these two couples, Aaron and Theresa Shoolroy seem to lead completely separate daily school lives.

Aaron said that because their work areas are on opposite sides of the building, they almost never get a chance to see each other until they get home. Because Aaron teaches science and Theresa works as a councelor, the crossover is minimal. They rarely even take the same car.

“One of us usually drops our daughter off and the other picks her up, so we don’t usually get to drive together,” Aaron said.

Theresa said that they tend to talk about how their days went after school. “He always hears about what it’s like to change a kid’s schedule as a counceler. He knows how it directly impacts them,” Theresa said. “Even our daughter is used to the conversation. It’s just a normal topic at home.

While they do like to relate their days to each other, Theresa made it clear that school talk does not make as much of a presense in their home lives as some other teachers.

All three of the couples mentioned that they are more sympathetic to the work life and work load of their spouse because they share the same work environment.

Whether they teach the same subjects, or don’t even work in the same department, having the similar occupations appears to make it easier for these couples to communicate.

They each stressed the fact that they love working with their spouses. Even if it becomes difficult at times, being part of the school together makes work all the more fun.