One of a kind building lacks credit

The Link Piazzo Alumni Center is the only alumni center that is on the same grounds as the school.

Courtney Lopez

Courtney Lopez

Bella Sloane, Staff Reporter

The first thing that someone lays eyes on upon entering the Alumni Center is a large green bell. Students who participated in a tour at the Alumni Center can recall a tour guide pulling the wheel to ring it, but the majority don’t recollect the history behind it.

The same bell stood in the belltower of “Central School”, a previous Reno High School that was built in 1879. The bell was found in the basement of a local school and restored to its former glory so that it could properly greet every individual that arrives at the Alumni Center.

Collecting memorabilia and the associated memories: this is the task of the Alumni Center.  It isn’t a place most students have visited in more than a year, and it sometimes gets taken for granted simply because it’s been there for for so long. However, there are some exclusive qualities that only Reno High School’s Alumni Center can brag about.

“One of the unique things about this alumni center is the fact that this is one of a kind,” trustee John Watson said. “In the whole United States, there’s not another alumni center that’s built on the same grounds as the high school that has a separate building.”

This school has a considerable amount of memories and the Alumni Center works to collect all that they can. The individuals in charge of the building are not even actually paid to work there.

“This is a strictly volunteer situation,” Watson said.

The members all work to keep the center functional and full of memorabilia from Huskie past. Nearly all of the alumni who volunteer do so because they still have members of their family attending Reno High.

“All my four children went here, my granddaughter that I raised went here,” trustee Marilyn Bell said. “With our family, we are six generations of Reno High graduates with my nephew who’s here now.”

Much of the mementos come from the families of graduates who have passed away, and their collection fills the entire museum and two back vaults. All of the volunteers are adamant that the history they preserve is important.

“I think it shows the tradition of Reno High not just athletically, but scholastically, socially,” Bell said. “Reno High has always been one of the leaders, especially in the educational aspect.”