1879 steps into new century

Web presence expected to expand store

A new online store is anticipated to expand the store and make it easier for students to get gear.

Photo Courtesy 1879

Photo Courtesy 1879

Courtney Lopez, Managing Editor

The student store is making its way in the technological world as it moves it way online and offering different merchandise than past years.

The idea of putting the store online has been thought about for a while due to students not being able to run the store during the school day. Since the last business and marketing teacher left the school the new teacher Craig Musni thought it would make sense and organized it. The class hopes that it will make long term changes in their retail space.

“If we want to maximize our ability our ability to sell all our products, and also give our target market the most convienent way to purchase RHS gear,” Musni said. “The online store is the best way to service that.”

The class did run into some problems with how they will make the payments. They planned on using Square for both their online and retail to track inventory across both and start taking credit cards, but the district did not like that idea.

“I made the call to use it because it is the easiest way for my students to track and reconcile inventory as well as track all purchases whether cash, check, or charge,” Musni said. “It will link seamlessly with our online store.”

The Washoe County School Districts Accounting Department is looking into using Square, but they did not respond in time for the store opening so Musni had to make the decision on using it.

By moving the store online it will allow people to order what they want online and then they could pick it up at the school or have it shipped to them.

“We can sell more items to parents who can’t make it to school or the games,” senior Kiwi Lee said. “It gives us a chance to market new product in a new way.”

The first step they planned is closing off the back room to people and start to only have workers going back to get merchandise, they will be including product displays. Their long time goal is to make it into a retail environment that one could find at a store.

On September 9 the store opened up for the first time this year with their brand new merchandise at Parent Night. They did have to raise the prices slightly due to the material being the same quality of product as Adidas. The website opened up the day after the main store opening and the website name is shop1879.com. “The ability to take debit cards is indisputably key to our success,” Musni said.