Marching no more

Band program faces changes

Members of the marching band play as part of the pep band at the home football game against Douglas. The band no longer performs as a marching band at half-time or after the games.

Tyler Arden

Tyler Arden

Grace Lowden, Opinion Editor

Last year, football games included hazardous halftime shows. This year, band is staying on the bleachers and sticking to the school song.

The band itself has not become any less prominent in the community and will still help huskies sing songs and chant cheers.

“The only thing we are not going to do is get on the field and move around,” band director Gerald Willis said.

The dismemberment of the marching band has allowed the concert and jazz bands the ability to focus on performing instead of competing.

“I frankly don’t mind the changes,” Isaac Land said. “The band is certainly going through some changes for the better, and there’s going to be some sacrifices. I’m looking forward to the new opportunity in Jazz and Concert, and I’m sure the other players can agree.”

Concert and Jazz band plan on using the extra time previously allotted to Marching Band to stress preforming and create more opportunities to showcase their work.  After Willis was left to lead the entire band department himself, it was necessary to get down to the essentials of the music program. Cutting Marching Band gave Willis that opportunity.

“I want to concentrate exclusively on being a great concert band, everything we are doing gets done doing class—no outside rehearsals,” Willis said.

The band room itself is also undergoing changes with money from the Link Piazzo fund. Willis is re-designing his room in IA by cleaning and organizing the large space, by putting in new carpet, and setting up a staging area. He plans on putting in glass doors to replace the garage doors that cover a side of his classroom. Acoustic paneling will cover the ceiling and remaining walls. Willis hopes the band will get a wooden platform and lighting to highlight their performances.

“It’s for the students to reap the benefits of having a concert space,” Willis said. “It’s one of the the biggest rooms on campus, so we might as well use the space while we can.”

The band has a full fall agenda, including fundraising for new concert chairs and working at the Air Races to raise money for new instruments. The band will also have their first ever fall concert, attributed to Willis’s proactivity despite being left to run the department.