Take a step back in time

Explore how the campus functioned in the past

Parker, Staff Reporter

These 5 rooms are the ones that you most likely had no idea they used to be home to another subject.

Ping?

The Ping area wasn't always just for storage. Years ago the space was used for dance and intramural Ping-Pong.

Parker
The Ping area wasn’t always just for storage. Years ago the space was used for dance and intramural Ping-Pong.

Why do we have a door leading to a hallway labeled “ping”? Years ago, students would  play intramural ping pong in the rooms that are now used for storage. Next to these rooms lie the unknown dance rooms. Students were actually taught forms of couples’ dance, such as square dancing or ballroom.

Leadership room was not always leadership

The current Leadership room was the staff dining hall before it was converted into a classroom.

Parker

Ever wondered why the leadership classroom is located right in the center of the cafeteria? The reason for this is because it used to be a faculty dining room. But as the leadership group popularized, and the need for a classroom became more apparent, the teachers had to forfeit their eating quarters.

Back in the day, when teachers could smoke

The teacher's lounge was not alway divided to create a conference room. That other area used to be the smoking section of the lounge.

The teacher’s lounge was not alway divided to create a conference room. That other area used to be the smoking section of the lounge.

This is a lesser known room, but the teacher’s lounge actually has a wall right in the middle of it. The wall separates the conference room from the lounge, but decades ago, it actually represented the smoking and non-smoking sides of the teacher’s lounge. As times changed, the space was put to a different use.

Woodshop to weights

Down in the basement, wood work gave way to muscle work. What was originally was the woodshop classroom is now the weights room. As woodshop fell out of favor, and the school no longer offered it as a class, the room was put to a different use.

Theater was once part of the building

The classrooms in the far end of N hall, such as N7d and N8a, were all once all one big theater. When they added the theater out front as a separate building, the other theater became academic classrooms.