Sports injuries to look out for

The most common injuries seen by sports medicine

Senior Molly Ristine tapes football player’s ankle to help support a sprain.

Atley Weems

Atley Weems

Atley Weems, A&E Editor

With the new school year comes yet another round of fall sports. All of which have their own injuries most common to the sport. Due to it being the beginning of the season, most student athletes haven’t trained for the length of the summer and are prone to more injuries because their bodies aren’t used to the strenuous workouts that they had been with at the end of their last season. So here are some of the most common and or peculiar sports injuries for fall sports:

Football

1.) Sprained ankles

with constant pivoting, fast movements and pressure on the feet, football players are used to sprained ankles. While they may be common in every sport, higher degrees of sprains are seen often in football due to the pressure that is put on the feet to turn quickly in order to tackle and get on their targets.

2.) Anterior Cruciate Ligament
most commonly known as tearing one’s ACL, this injury occurs more than it ever should. Tearing of the ACL is an extremely painful knee injury that requires much physical training to rehabilitate the knee and get the flexibility of moving it back to where it once was.
3.) Broken Collar Bones
this oddity isn’t as odd in football as one would think. Due to intense tackles against hard helmets, a broken collar bone, while painful, occurs often in football.

Cross Country

1.) Plantar Fasciitis

while the name is weird in itself, plantar fasciitis isn’t a weird injury for runners. This inflammation in the foot can cause minor to severe pain depending on the inflammation and how far the athlete chooses to push it.

2.) Runners Knee

runner’s knee is recognized by a feeling of being stabbed in the knee. It’s due to a runner’s style of running and the impact that the foot has on the ground.

3.) Shin Splints

shin splints are common across the board for student athletes, but more so for runners. They are caused by an inflammation of the muscle on the shins. It’s recognized by a shooting pain that can be mild to severe as well.

Soccer

1.) Osteitis Pubis Syndrome

is a chronic syndrome that affects the abdominal muscles. While this syndrome isn’t extremely common, it is certainly an odd syndrome that affects mainly kicking sports, especially soccer and directly affects the pelvis.

2.) Calf Strain

calf strain is a frequently occurring injury in soccer that comes mostly from kicking and the length of running of the players. It can go from a mild pain to not being able to walk.

3.) Concussion

concussions have been recognized to be a prominent result of football, yet soccer surprisingly experiences them almost as habitually. From falls, kicks to the head, impact with other players, hitting heads on goalposts and head butting balls constantly, concussions are a given in soccer.

Tennis

1.) Shoulder Pain

shoulder bursitis is a common pain that tennis players have to endure. It’s the inflammation in the shoulder causes by the overuse and strain of the rotator cuff while serving.

2.) Stress fractures in the back

due to the posture that tennis players acquire over time, lower back pain is common and can only be fixed by rest and relaxing the back.

3.) Tennis elbow

with every swing, tennis players are straining the muscles and tendons in their elbow, causing inflammation from the stress put on it while swinging.

Volleyball

1.) Rotator Cuff Tendinitis

like tennis, volleyball players get this painful inflammation injury from serving.

2.) Patellar Tendinitis

patellar tendinitis is the inflammation of the tendon that connects the knee cap. This shooting pain is caused by the jumping that volley ball players do when getting the ball. This peculiar injury doesn’t happen frequently in many other sports, but is a big deal for many volleyball players.