Lacrosse keeps head held up after rough season

Everyone is taught to not be a sore loser. To dust off and stand up after a rough go of things, whatever those things may be. While things such as dusting oneself off is easier said than done, dusting oneself off after losing the chance to go through to playoffs can seem unbearable. After months of practice, almost daily dedication, and much perseverance Huskies Lacrosse has experienced one of its toughest seasons yet. Coach John Funk recognizes that the varsity on field successes didn’t reach the standard expectation. Ever since lacrosse came to Reno High, they have earned themselves a spot in the championship. This will be the first year that they are ineligible to play due mainly two overtime losses and a revamped look of Spanish Springs Lacrosse. 
	Although the obvious downfall of their season can put anyone in a bad mood, there were plenty of memories created that couldn’t be taken back, even with the loss at hand. 
	“During the shootout, for the first time ever, the Huskies Lacrosse team played a varsity game under the lights at Foster Field,” Funk said. “We played a disciplined, talented team from Idaho that took a lead at half time. However, with stead resolve, perseverance, and teamwork, the Huskies were able to cause a comeback and ultimately win 10-9.”
	This game gave the Huskies the opportunity to be accepted by the school more than anything else, and inspired a larger crowd to come in support of their success. Great success memories like these are worth cherishing, but players appreciate other things besides the games themselves. 
	“Max Demmurs and Garret Cummins taught me so much about how to improve my defensive game,” sophomore Anderson Hansen said, “and they were a huge part in my improvement from the beginning of the season to now.”
	Like any sport, lacrosse players are more like a family than a team, and with immense struggle and upset they push through together as a whole, as well as send their senior players off with care.
	“I would like to thank all of them,” Hansen said, “not once did they make me feel like some inexperienced sophomore, and they really did help me improve my game, not to mention I became pretty good friends with a lot of upperclassman that I probably would have never known. I would also like to wish them the best of luck in whatever they go on to do after high school.”
	Saying goodbye to the seniors of this year is difficult, as always for the coaches and remaining players, but they are excited for the fresh new season to come. They are also interested in seeing the growing potential of the underclassman players who have grown beyond all measure with the stress of this difficult season.

Everyone is taught to not be a sore loser. To dust off and stand up after a rough go of things, whatever those things may be. While things such as dusting oneself off is easier said than done, dusting oneself off after losing the chance to go through to playoffs can seem unbearable. After months of practice, almost daily dedication, and much perseverance Huskies Lacrosse has experienced one of its toughest seasons yet. Coach John Funk recognizes that the varsity on field successes didn’t reach the standard expectation. Ever since lacrosse came to Reno High, they have earned themselves a spot in the championship. This will be the first year that they are ineligible to play due mainly two overtime losses and a revamped look of Spanish Springs Lacrosse. Although the obvious downfall of their season can put anyone in a bad mood, there were plenty of memories created that couldn’t be taken back, even with the loss at hand. “During the shootout, for the first time ever, the Huskies Lacrosse team played a varsity game under the lights at Foster Field,” Funk said. “We played a disciplined, talented team from Idaho that took a lead at half time. However, with stead resolve, perseverance, and teamwork, the Huskies were able to cause a comeback and ultimately win 10-9.” This game gave the Huskies the opportunity to be accepted by the school more than anything else, and inspired a larger crowd to come in support of their success. Great success memories like these are worth cherishing, but players appreciate other things besides the games themselves. “Max Demmurs and Garret Cummins taught me so much about how to improve my defensive game,” sophomore Anderson Hansen said, “and they were a huge part in my improvement from the beginning of the season to now.” Like any sport, lacrosse players are more like a family than a team, and with immense struggle and upset they push through together as a whole, as well as send their senior players off with care. “I would like to thank all of them,” Hansen said, “not once did they make me feel like some inexperienced sophomore, and they really did help me improve my game, not to mention I became pretty good friends with a lot of upperclassman that I probably would have never known. I would also like to wish them the best of luck in whatever they go on to do after high school.” Saying goodbye to the seniors of this year is difficult, as always for the coaches and remaining players, but they are excited for the fresh new season to come. They are also interested in seeing the growing potential of the underclassman players who have grown beyond all measure with the stress of this difficult season.

John Funk

John Funk

Atley Weems, A&E Editor