Students explore passions, volunteer at Holland Project

Sabrina Rollins

Sabrina Rollins

Sabrina Rollins, Staff Reporter

The Holland Project, music venue and art gallery, not only promotes the exposure of local artists, but also emphasizes volunteer work.

Volunteers are the most crucial aspect of the venue and keeps it running smoothly. From running and booking shows to manning the door. Holland utilizes volunteers for everything. Students such as senior Sierra Jickling and junior Emily Jiang are involved in helping out during music shows by stamping hands when they pay for the show.

”It’s such a cool place to spend my time at because all the people I work with are some of the most inspiring and motivating people in the community,” Jickling said. “Reno has a really strong cultural scene and Holland is one of the organizations at the heart of that scene.”

Jiang is also an art gallery intern. She sends out press releases for the Micro Gallery at Bibo Coffee Company. Jiang and Jickling are currently working on a group exhibition where artists can submit their work that represents their perception of wealth and will be displayed in the Micro Gallery from March 30 to April 25. Volunteers consist of people of all different ages and are always looking for more to come and support the venue.

“After the first show I went to at Holland, I decided to volunteer,” Jiang said. “Now that I’m volunteering I get to meet new people and watch free shows.”

Another way to get involved is to serve on a committee, which is a larger commitment than volunteering. These committees include programming, gallery, operations, and photography. Committee members must commit to monthly meetings and other time-consuming responsibilities.

“I started volunteering at Holland last summer because I have always gone to shows there and

I figured I might as well volunteer at a place I love,” Jickling said.

Not only can high school students volunteer and join a committee, they can also contact Holland and book their own show if they wanted to perform in front of a live audience. Senior Clay Harrison, Gavin Dunn, Drew Persing, and Josh Tillery’s band Something About Machines has performed multiple times at the venue. It serves as a way to get noticed on a local level.

Another event that Holland exhibits frequently is an art show called Young Blood where students bring in their art and present it to the public. Jiang has shown her own drawings as well as many other young ambitious artists.

“Even though I am young, it felt so great to put my art up as if I was a professional artist and seeing others look at my art was an amazing feeling,” Jiang said.

Holland’s primary purpose is to connect the community with art and music, with the help of the community and by the community. Volunteering is a great way to discover new things that may have never been discovered anywhere else.